Teacher Pack: Unit 3.5 Fundamentals of Computer Networks 8525 (from 2020)
The resources within this Teacher Pack cover all aspects of the specification in relation to AQA GCSE Computer Science 8525 (from 2020) component 3.5.
· Teaching PowerPoints (including checkpoint questions and answers) - 69 slides
· Student PowerPoints (Including checkpoint questions, but omits the answers)
· Homework/Classwork Activities (+ mark schemes)
o LANs and WANs
o Wired & Wireless Networks
o Star & Bus Topology
o Network Protocols
o The Concept of Layers
· End of unit tests (+ mark schemes)
Define what a computer network is.
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of computer networks.
Describe the main types of computer network including:
• Personal Area Network (PAN)
• Local Area Network (LAN)
• Wide Area Network (WAN).
Understand that networks can be wired or wireless.
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of wireless networks as opposed to wired networks.
Describe the following common LAN topologies:
Define the term network protocol.
Explain the purpose and use of common network protocols including:
• TCP (Transmission Control Protocol)
• UDP (User Datagram Protocol)
• IP (Internet Protocol)
• HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol)
• HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure)
• FTP (File Transfer Protocol)
• email protocols:
• SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol)
• IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol).
Understand the need for, and importance of, network security.
Explain the following methods of network security:
• MAC address filtering.
Describe the 4-layer TCP/IP model:
• application layer
• transport layer
• internet layer
• link layer.
Understand that the HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP, IMAP and FTP protocols operate at the application layer.
Understand that the TCP and UDP protocols operate at the transport layer.
Understand that the IP protocol operates at the internet layer.