Teacher Pack: Unit 3.1 Fundamentals of Algorithms 8525 (from 2020)
The resources within this Teacher Pack cover all aspects of the specification in relation to AQA GCSE Computer Science 8525 (from 2020) component 3.1.
· Teaching PowerPoint (includes checkpoint questions and answers) -74 Slides
· Student PowerPoint (Includes checkpoint questions, but omits the answers)
· Homework/Classwork Activities (+ mark schemes)
o Decomposition and Abstraction
o Flowcharts and High-Level Languages
o Sorting Data
o Sorting & Searching Programs
· End of unit test (+ mark scheme)
- Understand and explain the term algorithm.
- Understand and explain the term decomposition.
- Understand and explain the term abstraction.
- Use a systematic approach to problem solving and algorithm creation representing those
- algorithms using pseudo-code, program code and flowcharts.
- Explain simple algorithms in terms of their inputs, processing and outputs.
- Determine the purpose of simple algorithms.
- Understand that more than one algorithm can be used to solve the same problem.
- Compare the efficiency of algorithms explaining how some algorithms are more efficient than others in solving the same problem.
- Understand and explain how the linear search algorithm works.
- Understand and explain how the binary search algorithm works.
- Compare and contrast linear and binary search algorithms.
- Understand and explain how the merge sort algorithm works.
- Understand and explain how the bubble sort algorithm works.
- Compare and contrast merge sort and bubble sort algorithms.